Car is total loss after fire in engine compartmentFront Page - Published on: July 04, 2012
A 1999 Volkswagen Jetta reportedly was a total loss after its engine and engine compartment caught on fire just before noon last Saturday, according to a report at the Lamesa Fire Department.
Johan Hede of Chihuahua, Mexico told firefighters that he was driving the vehicle in Lamesa and began smelling something coming from the engine compartment.
When Hede stopped the vehicle in the 500 block of South Bryan Avenue, the fire department report said, he discovered that the engine compartment was on fire.
That fire alarm was sounded at 11:54 a.m. and 20 firefighters responded with three trucks. They remained at the scene for approximately 47 minutes.
Cause of the fire was listed as electrical in the fire department report.
(See complete story in printed edition of Lamesa Press-Reporter on newsstands now.)